You do NOT need to be a legal US citizen to obtain a USCG captain’s license. However, you need to be legal to work in the US to get an OUPV/Six-Pack captain's license. If you want to go for the 25/50/100-Ton Masters license, you must be a US citizen.  

If you are not legal to work in the US or a US citizen, you can still take the course to gain additional knowledge and become a safer boater. We have hundreds of students that never apply for the license but still take the course/exam.  

Check out this blog: What will I Learn in the OUPV/Six-Pack Course? 

For those who qualify for the license, these are the additional licensing requirements:  

  • Fill out the Application Form. 
  • Schedule a physical with your primary care physician 
  • Schedule a DOT (Department of Transportation) Drug Test 
  • Document your boating experience 
  • Apply for a TWIC Card 
  • Take an approved Adult First Aid/CPR Certification course through American Heart Association, American Red Cross, or PADI 
  • Submit your Official Mariners Learning System Certificate of Completion

If you’re still unsure, feel free to reach out to one of our licensing specialists at (609)303-0664, M-F, 9 am-5 pm EST. 

Select Different CTA for each Post from Blog Editor

New Call-to-action

Subscribe Here!

Let Us Know What You Thought about this Post.

Put your Comment Below.

Thanks for subscribing!